...

Aug 11, 2008

creativity spurt

I'm working on 2 projects right now.

This summer I started crocheting a sweater called the Jolly Roger sweater. It appears to be a slim-fitting, unisex type sweater, done completely in half-double crochet. It is supposed to have a white skull & crossbones woven onto a black or dark background. Basically I just wanted the experience of making a whole sweater, so I did not insert the skull pattern. Mine is just a navy blue sweater. I finished the front (slight v-neck) and back and one sleeve. Then I needed to get another skein of yarn, and now I'm working on the 2nd sleeve! As soon as I have that finished, I'll assemble the whole thing and take some pics.

I hope it all turns out. It has been a pretty simple project, but you know the joke is that everyone's first sweater comes out way too big or too small or with different length sleeves or something. I'm very excited about having my own hand-made sweater to wear this fall as the leaves start flying and frost arrives! :-)

The 2nd project is a knitted bag (purse) in charcoal-colored, thick, wool-blend yarn. This is a very cool project. It is complicated enough that I have to think about what I'm doing. But it is not so complicated that I can't figure it out. First, it is knit in the round, which is new to me. I made the socks in the round on double-pointed needles. But this bag is on a circular needle set (2 needles attached by a plastic cord). I think this is even easier than using the 5 d-p needles. Additionally, the pattern has a cable design, but it is not really that complicated. It looks cool. I had to buy a cable needle, and that is a little tricky to use, but I love learning something new! I'm still at the beginning of this project, but I think I'll finish it this fall.

P & I were out at a hippie music thing in the city this past weekend and I repeatedly noticed shawls, wraps, scarves & sweaters that girls were wearing. I wondered if they were home-made or store-bought or thrift shop finds. I wondered if I could put something like that together... could I find that same flowery pattern and figure out how to make a wrap from it? How would you get a sweater to angle that way? that fringe is a nice way to finish that project... etc. I'm obsessed!

LOL, not really obsessed. But definitely feel some creative juices flowing lately. I'm loving that. Is it just that I'm challenging by brain again (with school & reading & crafting)? and now it's working over-time, looking for more?

P & I also went out walking in the park with the soccer ball on Saturday. We were out there for maybe an hour and a half, along the river, through the park, along the canal, up hills, down hills (under I-390, where we both took shots and the large concrete abuttment with the soccer ball and we both missed! LOL! can't hit the broad side of the barn, as they say!), running, walking, dodging bicycles, chasing the ball off in the tall weeds... MY KNEE DIDN'T HURT AT ALL! I'm thinking in a couple more months, I will ditch the treadmill and get back onto the roads. What's the worst that could happen? I get another twinge of pain and go back to the treadmill in the gym?

Did you read that last paragraph and wonder how much fun we had in the park on Saturday? We did!! The simplest things are often the best. We did housework, too, and even homework (me accounting, him job applications), but it was nice to get outside and run around together.

I'm so hungry right now I could eat that soccer ball. *sigh* Instead I shall have a curiously strong Altoid creme-de-menthe-dipped-in-dark-chocolate mint for about 8 calories. Oh joy. And a big glass of water.

No comments: