One of the sad things that was evident was that the person who was picked out as the "biggest partier", who had the most to drink that day, is also known to be a member of the church I attend (but i do not know this person personally). The conversation around me was, "I didn't think he'd drink since he goes to that church." "He's friends with [someone I know from church who apparently does not share this party spirit] and I thought baptists don't drink, but he says it's ok."
Now, I don't mean to be high and mighty about this. I've had an occasional drink. Having a beer doesn't negate salvation. But I've never been picked out of a crowd as the biggest partier there... the one who had the most beer, the one who was the biggest entertainment of the day. How sad is it that the drunkest person on the bus claims to be a Christian?
I don't know. Maybe it is worse that I didn't even proclaim to be a Christian. I couldn't think of anything to say to add to that conversation. "Yes, some Christians drink and some don't. What's important is your relationship with Jesus Christ." That probably would have been an appropriate response (maybe), but I always come up with something to say a day late.
One of my lessons for the day was that I always want my testimony, as much as possible, to be pure to those who may be watching me. I know we all mess up. I know I screw up. I live every day trying to be a "good Christian" around my husband. Being real is important, but being sincere in what you believe and knowing what and why you believe is probably even more important.
My other lesson from the Boilermaker day was that I do not thank God nearly enough for a healthy body. I'm still overweight, which is not being the best steward of my body, but it is something I'm learning to change, babystep at a time. In the meantime, I won't be breaking any speed records with the Kenyans, but I thank you, Jesus, that I have healthy legs, healthy lungs, a sound mind, a strong heart!! Thank you, Father God, for the strength to run and walk and work, for the ability to study and learn and love, for the situations you put in my path and for rest at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment