I like watching the Biggest Loser show. What I like about the program is watching the people transform themselves and learn to believe in themselves. I like that they are doing something healthy for their bodies and learning to be a good steward of it and having a life they can enjoy--rather than being a slave to their flesh. Trapped. I felt so trapped when I was at my highest weight, and sometimes, even now, I still feel that. But the reality is we are not trapped. We just need to learn what we can do to make things better.
Watching 2 weeks ago, I could totally relate to Darius. He did so great on the ranch and really learned lessons about himself, learned to believe in himself. Then he went home and fell into the same old traps he's had all of his life up to now. They say it takes 3 weeks (or 6 weeks) to break old habits, depending upon who you ask. Even the WW leaders say this. I disagree with that sentiment. I started trying to break old habits and form new habits in 2004. That is 5+ years ago. And I still struggle with these things. Do not hate yourself if you cannot break 30 years worth of ingrained habits in 30 days. I don't care what "people" say; it just isn't that simple for everyone.
It isn't simple. It isn't easy. But it can be done. It takes patience. It takes the development of discipline. It takes trial and error. It takes time. It takes thinking about what you are doing and learning from your mistakes.
No comments:
Post a Comment